Tonight’s dinner is a satisfying pasta dish featuring succulent king prawns and fresh vegetables. Four of your five a day in this recipe – serve with a glass of orange juice and you’ve achieved all five!
I used to buy jars of pasta sauce until I discovered I could make my own quickly and simply using whatever vegetables I have in the fridge.
- 250g dried fusilli pasta
- 1 courgette, chopped
- Pepper (red or yellow), chopped
- 8 small mushrooms, chopped
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 150g king prawns
- 2tbsp oil for frying
- 100g grated cheese.
- Cook pasta according to packet instructions
- Meanwhile, heat the oil and fry courgette, pepper and mushrooms until courgette begins to brown
- Add the tinned tomatoes, allow to cook for 4 minutes , stirring regularly
- Add prawns and allow to cook for a further 2 minutes
- Drain the cooked pasta and transfer it to an oven proof dish
- Pour the tomato and vegetable sauce over the pasta and mix into dish
- Top with cheese
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Serve and devour!
You can exchange the fresh vegetables I’ve included for whatever you have available. For me this can sometimes include fresh or frozen broccoli, onion, cherry tomatoes or aubergine.